2 September 2012

Jesse on Puppy-Love




1 -  Tell me 3 things about yourself aside from having a puppy.

I like to eat. Also I love to be outside and have fun; which is probably why I got a dog.

2 - Who is your dog?

Biggie Smalls, the notorious D.O.G. 65 pounds of pure love and badness.

3 - How old is he?

Currently he is 7 months. We have had him since he was just 8 weeks old!

4 - Does he do any tricks?

For food he will do almost anything. His best tricks are shake a paw, sit, lie down, speak and stay. When he is feeling up to it he will also come, although that one happens on his own terms.

5 - On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is a little slow and 10 is very smart, where would you rate your dog?

What a rating system! His emotional intelligence is probably an 8 or 9, and his love for people a 10. His smarts are probably a 6 or 7; he's a little slow to catch on sometimes. Let's just say that he is not afraid of fire.

6 - How did he become part of your life?

The idea was solidified while we were on vacation in Hawaii. We came home, found him on Kijiji and picked him up from the farm.

7 - What do you love about having this dog in your life?

The nonjudgemental love that he shows. Also having a friend to go on walks with at all hours of the morning and night.

8 - What are the difficult parts of living with your dog?

Waking up at 6 or 7am, 7 days a week. I'm not much of a morning person. The emotional rollercoaster when he was sick, and losing some of my freedom.

9 - What has surprised you about life with this dog?

The fact that I can survive off of so little sleep, ha. How emotionally attached I have become, and how frustrating it can be.

10 - How have your family and friends responded to you getting a dog?

Most people are really supportive. We have lots of offers for dog sitting and our families love him as much as we do. We also don’t get invited to the lake as often, ha.

11 - Who is the most supportive of this change in your life?

My girlfriend, Jen.

12 - Do you come across people who are not fond of your decision to get a dog?

Sometimes friends don’t get it when I tell them I have to stay home to spend time with the dog. But the truth is they are pack animals and can't be left alone all day. I would say they are still fond of Biggie though. I mean who wouldn't be? He’s so cute and lovable.

13 - What are your dog’s best qualities?

His ability to make you feel loved, especially when you come home. His ablity to make strangers smile, very few can resist. And his ability to help people heal.

14 - What are your best qualities as a dog-owner?

I think I'm very caring toward my dog, and make sure he gets at least 3 walks a day.

15 - If your dog could speak English, what might he say has been his experience of living with you?

Fun, boring, confusing with the inconsistent commands, and filled with love!

      16 - What is your dog’s idea of a perfect day?

Going to the beach, playing in the sand and swimming in a lake (he has just started swimming!), a close second would be spending the whole day off-leash at our Sugar Shack in the woods.

17 - What has this dog taught you so far?

Patience; that’s a big one I'm still learning. Also discipline, and confidence that I can wake up at 530am and still go to work all day.

18 - What have you learned about yourself since getting him?

That I'm not as patient as I thought, ha. Hard leasson to learn, but when you are late for work and you're on a walk and he is just lying down refusing to move, that is when the inner Buddha has to come out.

19 - What are your thoughts on bred dogs vs. shelter dogs?

Shelter dogs should be adopted whenever possible. Although shelter dogs can be even more work and the owner has to be prepared and in the right situation to handle them. Biggie is not a shelter dog because dog ownership and training is huge learning curve for me. Maybe the next one will be from the shelter.

20 - At the end of your life, how might this dog have made a difference for you?

By teaching me patience, how to care for another living being, and love.


1 comment:

  1. I love you, Jesse! Thanks to both of you for bringing that incredible pup into my life. xox

    ReplyDelete