13 September 2012

Analisa on Being a Hairstylist




1 – Tell me 3 things about yourself aside from cutting hair.

-I'm 100% in LOVE with my Family.
-I love living in the country.
-I have the most adorable boys in the world!

2 – Where do you work? What’s your workspace like?

I work out of my home, and I'm a Hair Stylist. My husband is amazing and built me a beautiful salon that’s right off our entrance so no one has to go through my house and I can just walk across my house to get to work.

3 – How long have you been cutting hair?

12 years. Ahhh!

4 – I know you’re a busy mom, how much time do you spend working these days?

I picked this job because I love it, and can be creative. But the biggest benefit I had in mind was being able to work around my kids' schedules…After working 9 or 10 hour days before kids, I now just work evenings…so when my hubby gets home I go and do a cut, color, highlight that takes 1h1/2 and I've started doing some afternoon appointments when my youngest is napping.

5 – What got you into hairdressing in the first place?

I hated university. I'm hands-on and I love doing hair, and to make a living at it, be able to make people feel beautiful and knowing that I could one day work out of my home was my ultimate best, knowing I would never be able to leave my kids to go to work.

6 – What do you like best about your job?

I'm the best boss I ever had! Having no boss is great. But the BEST part is I get to be creative and visit with the most amazing people who are all my great friends...I ask a lot of questions and get so many different perspectives from all ages so I learn soooo much..

7 – What’s something you don’t like about cutting hair for a living?

There's nothing I don’t like about it…

8 – Who is your favorite customer and why?

My favorite customers have always been the older women. I find I can learn so much from them, I love the feeling of making someone feel beautiful and you can tell the look on their faces when they feel better about themselves…I don’t do her hair anymore because it's too far but Helen Loewen will always be my favorite little lady!!!

9 – Hair cutting is a pretty intimate act. Do a lot of people open up to you when they’re sitting in the chair?

Yes, and so do I.

10 – Do you do one of those fancy scalp massages when you’re washing someone’s hair? Do you see peoples’ stress melting away as you do it?

That’s where people tend to close their eyes and I can tell it's time not to talk.

11 – Do you ever get tired of making small talk to pass the time with customers?

No, because most of my clients have been coming for awhile so I feel we're past the small talk. And even with new appointments I feel I can be pretty real and get down to good conversation quickly, not just the weather talk.

12– How do you find working so closely with people when you’re having a bad day?

I don’t hide my feelings well so I might bring my mood up to excuse myself and then it often brings up amazing conversations…

13 – Have you ever become friends with a customer after cutting their hair?

Yes, almost all of them.

14 – Who cuts your hair? Are you really picky about it?

Yes very picky so I cut and color my own hair…but sometimes I'd like someone to shampoo my hair for a change!

15 – What would you say are the traits of a really good hair dresser?

Being able to REALLY understand what the client is looking for…they may bring a picture but if you talk enough to figure out what they actually like about that picture it can be different, so it's so important to really ask the right questions so they will get the style or color that they are really after.

16 – Do you keep up with the latest trends in hair fashion? Or do you just do what feels good to you?

I do try to keep up with fashion. but I also try and read the style and lifestyle the person has so it will work for them…I can look at a person and envision exactly what style shape and colors would go best with their face shape, eye and skin colors…

17 – How can a haircut change a person’s day or life?

It can give someone confidence, and if you are in my chair you may get a therapy session out of it as well, hah.

18 – Can you tell a lot about a person by their hair? How?

 Yes I can, so much too much to even know where to start….

19 – What do you think about Miley Cyrus chopping off her long locks?

Ha – I think it takes a truly confident person to be able to do that and not hide behind your hair.

20 – At the end of your life, how might being a hairdresser have made a difference for you?

It has taught me to listen and learn from others and I think and hope I have made a difference in other people's life by what they see in me…I believe we all have gifts and talents and I am thankful  that  my job allows me to use the creativity God gave me.

2 comments:

  1. That is a really lovely interview, what a sweet spirit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I loved having Analisa as my hairdresser - I've never had a hairdresser before or after that I felt as close to:) Part of that was because she's so 'open' but likely also because her mom and I had been friends for years and our families used to be really close when Analisa was little. Analisa, you chose the perfect job for your talents and gifts outside being a great mom and wife! Sharon Friesen

    ReplyDelete