10 August 2012

Mikey on Changing Careers

    1 - Tell me 3 things about yourself aside from having recently changed careers.

    I recently started cycling, this has changed my attitude towards exercising.
    I love babies, and hopefully someday have one or two of my own.
    Gin and soda with a lime is my drink of choice.

     2 - What career did you move out of?
   
     Agricultural Sales as a Territory Manager.

     3 - Tell me about your new job.

      I’m a travel agent, I was bitten by the travel bug several years ago and this is something I’ve always wanted to do. I’m an outside agent, meaning I work from home and hope to specialize in corporate and group bookings. That said I do everything travel related; hotels, air, car and all inclusive packages.

     4 - Why the change, Mikey?

      After 6 years traveling North America and visiting the same people every couple weeks I got bored. I didn’t feel like I was being challenged anymore and I was never home. I want to one day settle down and probably have a family and my previous job was not conducive to this. It’s hard to have a relationship when you’re only home weekends, so I figured I needed a radical change.

     5 - What do you miss about your old career?

      I actually miss a bit of the travel, I know it contradicts what I just said above but I get antsy easily and working from home and not interacting with people is tougher than it sounds. I guess I miss daily interaction with my customers. The clients I have now are mostly dealt with on the phone or by email, so very different from my past job where I would meet my customers face to face.

     6 -What do you like most about your new career?

      I love the freedom it has given me; I have gained an extra 2 hours every day by not commuting. I also love helping people plan their dream holidays as well as booking corporate clients knowing I don’t have to catch the 6 am flight to Toronto for a meeting! Oh and I love the fact that I’m not being micro managed anymore!

      7 -What has surprised you the most about making this change?
   
      How quickly I’ve adapted to everything. People don’t understand the system travel agents use, it looks quite archaic but when you figure it out it actually saves a lot of time. The travel industry changes so quickly, you really need to keep on top of things or it will pass you by without you even knowing it.
  
     8 -Where did you find the courage to do it?

      I set myself a date and told myself if I didn’t give my notice by that time I never would.  I talked to my family who have been huge supports of the change and some close friends and everyone I talked to said I should make the move. I also talked to several people in the industry and got advice from them.

      9 -In general, are you a risk-taker or a security-lover? How does this career change fit or not fit with your usual comfort zone?

      I’d like to think I’m a risk taker, we all get comfortable doing what we do but sometimes you have to take a chance and hope it works out. I think this change is slightly outside my comfort zone, there are a lot of unknowns getting into this industry but in the end as long as you’re happy who really cares.
  
     10 -How did family and friends respond to your decision to make the change?

      My family and friends have supported me 100% with my decision, I didn’t have a lot of opposition to making the change.

     11 -Who was the most supportive of you making the leap into a new career?

      I think my mom; she has always been a huge support to all us kids. She only encouraged me to make my decision.

       12 -Did anyone tell you not to do it? What did you tell them?
   
      I had a couple people in the industry say I shouldn’t do it, but I’m going to prove them wrong.

     13 -What skills do you use in this job, that weren’t as necessary in the old job?

      I’d have to say time management, just getting up in the morning and starting my day at home can be a challenge. Knowing that you’re your own boss and can make your own decisions is a lot tougher than it sounds.

     14 -What skills have you stopped using, now that you’re in a new line of work?

      That’s a tough question; I think I still apply most of the same skills just in a different way. I still deal with the public, I’m selling a service as opposed to a product but in the end I get the same result.

      15 -What differences would you guess family and friends notice about you now that you’ve made the change?

      I’d have to say they notice I’m generally happier and complain a lot less. There are still things to bitch about, but nothing compared to my previous job.

      16 -What’s a typical workday look like for you now?

      I usually go to the office on Mondays around 9 am, I go upstairs and start a pot of coffee, and then catch up on the weekend gossip with the ladies. Yes I’m the only male in our office; I have seriously shaken things up for them. The day is usually pretty busy, working on files and trying to get through to airlines. I spend a lot of time on the phone, usually on hold. If I’m working from home, I usually start my day around the same time, get dressed and brew a pot of coffee. I try and leave my house at least once throughout the day or I start to lose my mind. When I work from home I usually end up working late as I lose track of time.

     17 -What has this career change taught you about life?

      Life is short, make the most of it and be happy. I need a reason to get up in the morning, this has definitely given me that reason.
  
    18  -What have you learned about yourself through making this change?

     I have learned that I can do anything that I put my mind too. Change is hard sometimes but if you’re willing to embrace it, it makes it that much easier.

     19 -Now that you’ve done it, what would be your advice to someone who is contemplating a career change?

      Do it! People get far too comfortable doing the same thing day in day out, sometimes getting out of your comfort zone is necessary. You will be surprised at what you can do if you put your mind to it.
  
      20 -At the end of your life, how might this career change have made a difference for you?
  
      Sometimes change isn’t always about getting ahead financially, I hope this change will have given me a better understanding of people and show them that I have integrity in what I do. 

4 comments:

  1. I myself am in the process of changing careers and winding my life down quite a lot and it was really interesting reading Mikeys story. Thanks Jennifer and Mikey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milky ride! This was great. Made me want to quit my job even though I'm totally happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview -- inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Q & A as per, J. Proud to call Mike my brother! Change is hard, but he makes it look simple day in and out despite the stress of learning a new trade altogether. Well done. Love you brudder.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete