23 August 2012

Amanda on Yoga



1 - Tell me 3 things about yourself aside from being someone who practices yoga.

I’m in crazy love with my dog (and yours.)
I love to figure out how to make things.
I don’t like it when my feet are dirty and can’t even wear flipflops practically.  (I know that’s not that interesting, but you asked.)

2 – How do you describe the kind of yoga you practice?

Compassionate and challenging.  But usually in the opposite order.

3 –When did you begin your life with yoga?

Most intensely when i lived in the mountains and realized that snowboarding its reckless abandon was not my favourite thing; that the abandon of yoga was more my speed/element.  And that my personal challenge is to put my feet (or my head or heart) on the ground.

4 – How did you come to have yoga as such a big part of your life?

Necessity and love.  I had this ache in my neck and this bigger ache in my heart.  I didn’t especially like the yoga at the time and I didn’t know why, but the aches began to unravel and felt lighter/better with yoga practice.  So i kept on.  And then a new ache would come and a new unravelling and then i kept on keeping on.

5 – How has your yoga practice changed over time?

It has changed because i have changed.  I’m nicer now.  So my yoga practice is kinder too- and more patient.  And i’ve learned how to listen to things that are subtle, so my yoga practice feels more tuned in.  This just means that I can sometimes figure out what is best for me rather than what i think i want to do.  Oh!  And playful.  Yoga is not serious business.

6 – Tell me about a great moment you’ve had with yoga recently.

This one time, yesterday, i was in savasana. 

7 - What do you love about yoga?

The earth under my feet.  It’s such a relief to find it there!  And the soul that I am.  It’s such a relief to find it there!

8 - What are some difficult parts of having a yoga practice?

Yoga is not easy:)  Every single time my ego struggles with my soul to get on the mat.  I don’t know if this is typical, but it would always be easier to do something else.

9 – How has yoga surprised you?

That it waits for you to come to it.  And then sometimes, as amazing yoga teacher Vanda Scaravelli said: ‘yoga itself will pull you up by the hair and make you do it.’  It was a bit of a surprise how despite potential inconsistencies in our practice, it is always there.  I didn’t know it would take on a life of its own in me.

10 – Do you prefer to practice alone, or in a group setting?

I like to do both.  I’m an introvert through and through, so alone-practice is a balm for my quiet soul.  However, hanging out with people when there are no words is pretty precious too.   It’s such a nice way to connect, yoga is.

11 - Who has been the most supportive of your path into yoga?

The people who come to my classes, who, no matter what, show up and give me another reason to keep doing it. 
And least supportive are the animals who live in my house who climb all over me while i practice. 

12 - How long have you being teaching?

For 9 years maybe?

13 - What is the best part about being a yoga instructor?

Your uniform being yoga clothing. 
The office being a yoga room, or a meeting room turned into a yoga room, or backyard turned into a yoga room, (etc...) 
The worst day ever ending in a yoga class and having your day melt into sweetness when you see people settle into child’s pose or savasana or their hearts fall open in a backbend.

14 - What sort of teacher would you describe yourself as? 

Attentive.  And I hope, more than anything, with ego left outside.

15 - Yoga has become mainstream in North America. How does the majority of yoga practiced here compare with how yoga is practiced in India.

At first, i wondered if we were kind of frauds over here, doing this ancient practice without the essence of it, since we aren’t (i’m not, at least) hindu. 
When I was in india, i searched everywhere for yoga.  The people there just looked at me blankly or wondered why i would do yoga at all.  It seems, for the most part (I know this isn’t universal, just much more widespread than i had expected), to have fallen out of their mainstream.  I am happy that we have picked it up and grown it over here now.  I feel proud of what we have done to add juice to the practice and that so many do it so much.

16 - Is yoga for everyone? 

Every-one. 

17 - If your yoga practice could talk, how would it say it finds you as its practitioner? 

It would probably say, thank you for your consistency.  It might also tell me to smile.

18 – Describe the perfect setting for a great yoga practice.

Anywhere.  Airports especially, planes (where i need it the most), not outside.  I don’t like outside yoga and the sharp sun.  Small, empty spaces are the best for me.  Boring ones, especially, where there’s no excuse and no distraction.  I had to move my yoga room at home to the basement, which is little and quiet and empty because I am so distractable.

19- What have you learned about yourself through your yoga practice? 

That I can be patient, though i’m not always, and that I am playful,
though i often forget, and that I am a soul.  And also that ritual makes my world go ‘round.

20 - At the end of your life, how might your yoga practice have made a difference for you?

Yoga will carry me out of this world, i hope, gracefully and supportively.  And also i will be a nicer person than if there was no yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment