24 July 2012

Jackie on Cabin-ing









1 - Tell me 3 things about yourself outside of being a cabin-owner.

I grew up in rural Manitoba.
I live/work close to downtown Winnipeg.
I don't really like being the subject of blogs (but I like Jen H.).


2 - Where is your cabin?

Berry Lake, Ontario


3 - How long have you had it?

One year.


4 - What’s it like over there at this time of year?

Lush and green, not very windy and the lake water is warm.


5 - Tell me about a great moment you’ve had at the cabin lately.

Looking out at the lake from the dock on a calm day/night – it's just really beautiful.  It's ridiculous really.


6 - How did you come to purchase a cabin?

My partner really wanted a cabin.  He looked for 2 years until he found one that was affordable but still suitable.


7 - What do you love about having this cabin?

Four things: I love hosting friends and family, I love being there alone with my partner, I love diving off the dock into the lake and I love being in the Canadian Shield (rocks and trees!).


8 - What are the difficult parts of having a cabin?

I feel guilty about my privilege, to 'own' such a beautiful place.


9 - What has surprised you about life with a cabin?

How relaxed I feel when I'm there.  


10 - How have your family and friends responded to you having a cabin?

They're pretty happy for us.


11 - Who is the most supportive of this change in your life?

My parents.  They were super supportive and have helped with all kinds of things, including building us a new outhouse!  It's a pretty stellar outhouse.


12 - Do you come across people who are a bit funny about you having a cabin now?

Just myself.  I have trouble with the privilege thing but also the fact that a cabin is so stationary.  I grew up camping and exploring different places – I don't want to lose those opportunities. 


13 - What is the best part about having a cabin?

The area is beautiful and it's starting to feel like home.


14 - What sort of cabin-owner would you describe yourself as?

 A learner.


15 - If your cabin could talk, how would it say it finds you as its cabin-owner?

It would probably say: once things are unpacked and put away, I'm super relaxed.  I like a mix of doing things and sitting around, doing nothing.  And I need to make the space feel like my own.


 16 -Describe a perfect day at your cabin.

I wake up momentarily to see the sunrise over the water (this happens almost each day due to a strategically placed window in our bedroom).  A few hours later I get up a do a bit of yoga on the dock and then jump in the lake.  I make tea.  My partner gets up.  We eat breakfast and sit around all morning, going for short swims or maybe tinkering on something.   After lunch I go for a short kayak.  In the afternoon friends/family arrive.  More swimming and eating.  We plays cards or a game late into the night.  I go to bed, not too late.


17 - What have you learned about yourself since owning your cabin?

Three things: a) I need to make a space feel orderly – that means I need to unpack before I can have fun;  b) I need to make a space feel like my own – usually with art; c) I need to relax more.   
(This suddenly seems like a challenge to have fun/relax in an unpacked, artless environment!)


18 -  Who are the best cabin-guests to have?

People I enjoy, who want to be there, and who are up for an adventure or two.


19 -  If you could change one thing about your cabin, what would it be?

Add another small bedroom so we could host more people.


20 - At the end of your life, how might this cabin have made a difference for you?

For me, being among rocks and trees and water is pretty rejuvenating, in all kinds of ways (physically, spiritually, emotionally).  I anticipate it will also be a great place for people to gather and be together – and help add some good times to all our lives. 
I guess that means it will make my ability to be happy and relaxed a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment