26 July 2012

Chris on Being a Photographer


1 - Tell me 3 things about yourself aside from being a photographer.

I love talking with people.
I need a girlfriend presently.
I love stand-up comedy – it’s my other obsession. (I’m trying to figure out a way to combine this with photography.)

2 – How long have you been taking pictures?

Probably as long as I can remember, at least I’ve been pretending to take pictures for as long as I can remember. I used to take my mom’s camera and hold it, and eventually she put film in it.

3 – When did it become serious?

In Grade 9 or 10 it got more serious. In 2008 I went to school and it got really serious.

4 – Who is your favorite photographer and why?

Right now, Martin Parr because he is very funny, satirical. His work is documentary-style, not staged. He documents the absurd, ridiculous things of the world.

5 - Tell me about a great moment you’ve had with your camera recently.

I went on tour with the Ripperz one month ago. It was one of the funnest things I’ve ever done. It was 10 days, and I got to hang out with friends the whole time.

6 - How did you come to be a photographer?

My mom was one, even though she doesn’t say she was. It was just one of the jobs of the moms back in the day. I liked putting on the different lenses and looking through at the different focal points. My parents had reels and reels of slides. I looked at lots of pictures as a kid.

7 – Say something about Digital vs. Film photography.

You can never believe digital like you can film. There’s no such thing as digital truth.

8 – What do you love about having photography as part of your life?

I’ll have captured/documented a lot of memories. I have an unlimited supply of gifts for my close family and friends. And I keep reading about how I’m providing/upholding a long-standing tradition – although I’m not sure how much of that remains true nowadays.

9 – Are there any difficult parts to being a photographer?

Yeah. I’ve had a few tough times. When people want you to take pictures of something that’s difficult to photograph, although that’s often when it has significance. Also, there are fewer moments when your expertise is recognized these days.

10 – In your experience, what is the secret to taking a great photo?

Patience
Focus (not being distracted)
Geometry (finding balance)
Confidence – something I have a hard time with.

11 – What makes a photo great, in your eyes?

There’s a subconscious thing that has to happen. When people are looking through pictures, they’ll stop at one even if they don’t know why. This is what separates great photos and not great photos. Also, emotion.

12 – How do people generally respond when you have a camera in your hands?

Now strangers are very skeptical because of Facebook and everything. They’ll usually ask, “Is that going on the internet?” People are more guarded. People I know well are getting more comfortable with it. 

13 – Who is the most supportive of your art?

My sister Tracy, she’s the most excited when new opportunities come in. My parents too, even if they don’t really know where it’s going. My friends also, I have good friends.

14 – What’s the greatest gift photography brings you?

Access into peoples’ lives, or situations I wouldn’t otherwise have access to.

15 – What are your best qualities as a photographer?

I think I’m pretty accessible and patient. I can be alone if I have to be, I can be with strangers for days on end. I’m empathetic.

 16 –If your camera could speak in words, what might she say has been her experience of being your tool?

“Enough with the weddings!” She’d probably give me a jab for spending too much time not taking the pictures I’m supposed to be taking. Also I probably treat my cameras rougher than most people. Cameras I have weren’t built to be clean and spotless.

17 – What is your favorite thing to photograph?

Documenting people, whatever they’re doing.

18 - What has photography taught you about life in general?

It’s not fair, but it’s beautiful. Although it hasn’t taught me anything new, it’s intensified life. It’s brought me a lot closer, more intimate with a lot of people. It’s intensified what life has to offer.

19 - What have you learned about yourself through your practice of photography?

I can get along with just about anyone if I want to. I didn’t know I was as patient, or that I liked most people as much as I do. It’s brought out all sorts of human parts of me I didn’t know were there.

20 – At the end of your life, how might photography have made a difference for you?

I got to meet so many interesting people through it and experience crazy amazing things I otherwise wouldn’t have. It’s given me adventures and stories to tell. Also, it gives me something to always work on, there’s no end really.

4 comments:

  1. Some wise words here, ringing true -- I found myself nodding along. BTW, who is this dude? I mean, in relation to you, or which family or whatever. We apparently have 13 mutual friends on FB, he's got Rosenort roots, and I have NO idea who he is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris is Irv and Erica's boy. He and Billy have always been tight. He also went up to Mish with my mom once or twice. He's a great guy!

      Delete
  2. I've read this interview over at least 5 times since you posted it, and I come away with new insight each time. This interview is really great. Thanks to you both!

    ReplyDelete