5 November 2012

Sara on Writing




1 - Tell me 3 things about you aside from being a writer.

I’m left handed.

I have a pet cat named Clementine and a pet pigeon named Cedric.

I have never been a vegetarian or a vegan.

2 - How and when does your writing story begin?

I’ve always written in some capacity. When I was a child and I would get into a fight with my mom, I’d run to my room and write her a letter saying what made me mad and how I was feeling. I’d come down from my room and drop it from the top of the stairs to our living room. She’d read it and come up and talk to me after a bit (when tempers had calmed). She called it my air-mail, and it was how we communicated when talking wouldn’t work.

As I got older I would always write stories and poems, and have books of quotes I liked from things I would hear on the street, and from magazines and books. In high school I was always in the advanced English classes, which was great because I was so terrible at so many other things (simple math still makes my palms sweat and I will undoubtedly be the first person to get hurt when playing a team sport), so being really good at writing was a comfort in a really uncomfortable time.

3 - When did it become serious?

I don’t know if it really has. I say I like to write but I don’t consider myself a writer. I’m not sure why. I’ve written articles for zines and newspapers, I’ve written a book about the history of the Woodbine Hotel, and I’m writing for a new site called the Spectator Tribune, but I still wouldn’t call myself a writer if someone asked what I did. Maybe it’s because I did and continue to do these things for me, not to make a living or for anyone else. This is not to say that I’m not really proud of myself for the things I’ve done, but I’m sure it comes from the fact that writing is something that is so near and dear to me, and something I do for myself, and sometimes it’s really scary to put yourself out there for strangers. Not scary bad, but scary good.

4 - What does writing mean to you these days?

These days, I feel very fortunate that I have the opportunity to meet new people who I think are interesting, write about what makes them tick, and share it for people to read. I’m all about sharing things – I feel sometimes to the point of overkill – so this is a great opportunity for me to be creative and share, two things I need to do.

Writing is also a way for me to reflect. It’s a way for me to see patterns, and it’s a way for me to have conversations without actually having them, if that makes sense. If I’m feeling bothered by something, or have just been thinking about something too much, I write about it to get it out and make it more tangible, and I can deal with it in a different way.

I have a tendency to write more when things are shitty, but I also make an effort to write when things are good. It’s pretty great to be like “today was an amazing day because…” and to have that to look back on.

5 - How has your writing journey evolved?

It’s kind of a funny thing. Writing personally, I still write about a lot of the same things I did when I was a teenager: boys (I guess I should call them men now), relationships, work, and life stuff. It’s taken a different tone though (most of the time, haha), but it’s like the same universal issues, just with a slightly different voice.

Writing as a means of communication in relationships has changed, and that has maybe been the most notable evolution, probably because it’s personal. In some of my past relationships, writing was the primary means of communication when things went to shit (and even before). I’ve had some insanely personal and life affecting “talks” through email. I don’t feel like these were trivial or meant any less because it wasn’t face to face. Sometimes it’s a hell of a lot “easier” to say what you need to say through writing. It can start an actual conversation, or it can clarify an action or word that maybe you didn’t feel comfortable asking about at the time. I’m a communicator – in any form, I will talk to you – but not everyone is like that. That’s no excuse not to talk about things, but I understand and am comfortable with writing (honestly sometimes more than talking, depending on the subject), and I appreciate when someone feels comfortable enough to share something with me, in any form.

Professionally, well, I’ve evolved to where writing is a large part of what I do, and I’ve gotten (and am continuing to get) better at it.

6 - When and where is the perfect moment (for you) to write?

Writing personally, I like to write at the end of the day. It’s sort of a winding down activity. Some tea and my notebook, and I’m set.

If I’m writing an article, I like to make a space for myself without many distractions and just get into it. I give myself a start time, sit down, and work it out.

7 - Tell me about a great moment you’ve had writing recently.

The interviews I’ve done for the Spectator Tribune have been fantastic. For me, writing an article on something or someone is a process, and I like the finding out part of the process. I like asking questions and learning about people and places. The people I’ve interviewed so far have all been so gracious and I’ve felt very fortunate to be able to write about them.

When they’re speaking, I’m sort of writing the article in my head, and when they say something that is a really fantastic quote, I think “yes! this is going to be great, I know exactly how this will work.” That’s a really great feeling.

8 - What are the difficult parts about writing for you?

Putting myself out there. Doing this thing that I really love doing, and knowing that people are going to read it. Making myself accessible and vulnerable in that way really freaks me out sometimes. That’s always the thing that makes me procrastinate and get things in late, or sometimes not do them at all.

I’ve gotten a lot better at thinking “well, fuck it, you’re going to do this and people are going to like it, hate it, or not care about it, but you’re still going to do it.”

9 - In your opinion, what are the elements of a great piece of writing?

If I’m reading a book, it’s all about the characters. They don’t need to be crazy or outlandish or anything like that though. If you have solid characters – fucked up, totally stable, extraordinarily mundane with a twist (or not) – you’ve got me. I could be reading a book that takes place in a non-existent far away land created from guys brain, that has the most lush scenery and amazing everything, if they characters are boring, I’m not reading it.

10 - Who has been the most supportive of your writing career?

My parents and my friends. My parents, especially my mom, have always encouraged me to write. My friends, especially lately, have been really great too.

11 - Do you have a favorite subject to write about?

Not really. I just really like to share things I think are neat, and I think a lot of things are neat.

12 - What is your remedy for writer’s block?

Ha. I haven’t found it yet. Probably procrastination and an episode of some shitty TV show. Coffee and beer help too.

13 - Do you read much? Who is your favorite writer and why?

I love to read! Netflix has kind of curbed my reading, but I still try and get a chapter in every night.

Oh man, I could go on and on about all of my favorite writers! I have a lot. Off the top of my head, I love Dave Eggers because I think his books are great, but also because of everything else writing related he does, and all that he’s tried to do, and how he gets youth involved, and how he’s worked to make writing accessible and like, not this scary thing for certain groups, which I think a lot of times it can be. He’s like my writer boyfriend.

I also love Gabriel Garcia Marquez because I love his style of writing, and because One Hundred Years of Solitude is the best.

14 - In your experience, how do writing with pen and paper vs. on a computer compare?

It’s easier to write on the computer. For a while I had a Word document journal. I called it my log, ha. I can type as quickly as I can think the words, so it was really great, but I missed the purposefulness and intent of pen and paper. I don’t know what it is, but the written word on paper seems more real. It seems more permanent (maybe because so much of everything on the internet is temporary).

There is something in the ritual of pen and paper that I enjoy, mistakes and all. It’s more deliberate and, for me, going the crazy stream of consciousness route and then reading it after is fun, but also really taking the time to think about what you’re putting down is nice too.

15 - Do you journal? Blog?

I do both, sometimes sporadically. I always have a journal on the go. I love journals. Getting a new Moleskin is the best. I have a blog as well, but it’s less writing focused and more “I found this neat thing on the internet,” or “here’s some pictures of some weird stuff I saw.”

16 - Do you believe Blogs are a good substitute for the old fashioned private pen and paper journal? Why or why not?

That’s tough. I love the internet for the simple ability to find crazy/weird/beautiful/stupid/insane/heartbreaking/wonderful stuff, and share it, so in that regard I think blogs are great. Blogs are a great way to read about things friends have done, and it can help make far away friends not so far away. Where I have an issue (and this goes to your next question) is the crazy personal stuff people should really only write about in their personal journal or share with their friends or family or counselor or something, being put on their blog. The other side of that though is like, maybe that person doesn’t feel like they have anyone to talk to, and they need to get whatever is in them out, so that’s their way of reaching out. I don’t know. It’s a tough one.

17 - Thoughts on the massive amounts of personal information sharing on the internet?

I’ve written and erased and re-written and erased this answer so many times. I have so many thoughts on this I don’t even know what to say. I think people should write/say/take a picture of what they want, but wait an hour (or even 15 minutes) to press send/upload/tweet, and see if they still think it’s interesting.

18 - Do you write for work? How does writing for work compare with writing for personal pleasure?

I do write for work. My work writing is mostly letters, press releases, and other PR type stuff. While it is very different from personal writing, I like it because while it might not seem creative on the outside, it is in a way in that it challenges me to write in a different voice, and to be efficient and obvious. It’s more formulaic, which is sometimes nice.

19 - What have you learned about yourself through your writing?

I have and continue to learn so much about myself. For my personal writing, I write about what has happened in my life, so through those experiences, I’ve learned to be aware of how I let myself be treated, what I think my limits are, and qualities I think are important, both in myself and in others, among so many other things. It’s sort of the combination of whatever happened and writing it down that has helped with learning/self growth. 

20 - What hopes and dreams do you have for writing in your future?

Really, just that I hope I can keep doing it. I hope I can continue to share stores about people and things I think are great on a platform people will see, and I’d like to work on the Woodbine book and make it into something really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment